Als einer der letz­ten über­le­ben­den Rit­ter der TAFEL­run­de lege ich natür­lich gro­ßen Wert auf eine sau­be­re Tafel:


Ohne Abzie­her (squeegee) geht tafel­putz­mä­ßig schon mal gar nichts:


In einer der ers­ten Stun­den demons­trie­re ich kor­rek­tes Tafel­wi­schen und ‑abzie­hen, das Gan­ze natür­lich gleich auf Englisch:

You take the spon­ge, go to the sink, open the tap and make the spon­ge wet. Then you squeeze it so that it does­n’t drip any more and clean the board. After that you take the squeegee, move it hori­zon­tal­ly  and hold the spon­ge under the squeegee so that it cat­ches the water. Do NOT move the squeegee ver­ti­cal­ly other­wi­se the­re will be ugly sta­ins on the floor.

Das Ent­schei­den­de ist dabei die WAAGRECHTE Bewe­gung des Abzie­hers. Nur sie ermög­licht es, die run­ter­lau­fen­de Soße mit dem Schwamm auf­zu­fan­gen. Es wird mir ein ewi­ges Rät­sel blei­ben, war­um selbst Kol­le­gen, die ansons­ten gro­ßen Wert auf ein sau­be­res Klas­sen­zim­mer legen, unver­dros­sen den Abzie­her mit gro­ßem Schwung senk­recht von oben nach unten füh­ren (las­sen), so dass die gan­ze Krei­de­so­ße auf dem Fuß­bo­den lan­det, wo sie häß­li­che Fle­cken bil­det und dar­über­hin­aus im Lau­fe der Zeit das Lin­ole­um angreift.

Was sagt / ruft / brüllt man eigent­lich auf Eng­lisch, wenn man kurz vor Ver­las­sen des Klas­sen­zim­mers noch den „Tafel­dienst“ an sei­ne Auf­ga­be erin­nern will? Paul Webs­ter, ein bri­ti­scher Mut­ter­sprach­ler, meint dazu:

I don’t think it is com­mon for pupils to be given this job in Bri­tain. I think the tea­cher usual­ly cle­ans the board. On an ad hoc basis, the tea­cher might say, „Peter, clean the white­board for me plea­se, will you?“

Black­boards in Bri­tain are clea­ned with a ‚board rub­ber‘, which is made of a thick pad of felt atta­ched to a pie­ce of var­nis­hed wood about 2″ by 7″.


Water is not invol­ved, and Bri­tish class­rooms – other than sci­ence labs – do not have sinks. The board is more tho­rough­ly clea­ned by the caret­a­ker or clea­ning staff from time to time. Bri­tish schools have never had the type of height-adjus­ta­ble black­board used in Ger­ma­ny, alt­hough Bri­tish black­boards often do have fol­ding panels at each side. One com­mon type is the rol­ler board, espe­ci­al­ly in maths rooms and sci­ence labs. This type has fle­xi­ble panels, some of which are plain black while others are are squared. One of the panels could be a white­board or pro­jec­tion screen.

Howe­ver, black­boards have been on the way out for many years, and in recent years Bri­tish schools have been busi­ly going over to inter­ac­ti­ve whiteboards.

I only real­ly remem­ber the fol­lo­wing from pri­ma­ry schools. Pupils who do class­room jobs can be cal­led ‚the x moni­tor‘, whe­re x stands for the name of the job they have to do – e.g. a lit­ter moni­tor would be in char­ge of making sure the­re was no rub­bish lying around.

So your pupils could be cal­led ‚black­board moni­tors‘ (or ‚white­board moni­tors‘). Alter­na­tively you could just call them ‚board clea­ners‘. At the end of the les­son you could say, „Board clea­ners, (time to) do your job.“ Ano­ther rele­vant expres­si­on might be, „Who’s on board clea­ning duty this week?“

Und „Krei­de­ab­la­ge“?


I do not know of any spe­cial term for „Krei­de­ab­la­ge“. If pushed, I would say chalk rest or chalk shelf. Howe­ver, in class I would say to a pupil, „Don’t put the chalk on my desk. Put it back whe­re it goes.“

Anspie­lung in der Überschrift …